Monday, September 29, 2008

Paul Newman Week - 2000 Daytona 24

In honor of our friend and fellow racer, Paul Newman,
I am going to designate the last week of September
"Paul Newman Week".


Gunnar and Paul

In response to hearing of Paul's passing, Gunnar said:
"I probably wouldn't be racing today if it wasn't for Paul Newman. The first time I got in the car that year, he was faster than I was. Even recently, he was still incredibly quick and could get around Lime Rock (his home track) better than anyone. He has been such a huge influence on my career and has been a close friend of our family for a long time."

Paul, Michael Brockman, Gunnar & Kevin
Porsche 996 GT3

"I've never had any physical grace," Paul insists. "I've done all kinds of sports, boxing, skiing, tennis - everything - and I have no physical grace. The only time I've ever felt graceful doing anything was when I was in a car."

Paul and Gunnar being interviewed,
via video, by Jane Clayson of the Early Show.

Referring to Gunnar, Paul said,
"He brings wisdom and speed,
and I bring treachery and bad intention."


These two made it into the Guinness World Records 2001
as the Oldest (75) and Youngest (17) Racing Drivers.

No comments: